Friday 14 October 2011

Practice in Formation


Can I Transform my Practice?

“If we teach today, as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow.” (John Dewey- American philosopher and psychologist)

As a newly graduated teacher (2010), I am thoroughly aware of the responsibilities that teachers have towards all the educational needs of our children. For me as a teacher (and teacher librarian), this means that not only do we need to teach our children, but we also need to provide students with the skills and abilities to engage with an increasingly technological world.

The acquisition and production of information has changed significantly due to the emergence of technologies such as laptops, iPods, reading devices such as Kindles and other mobile technologies. Increasingly, these are being used in a classroom context and have major implications on teachers and students. Instead of transforming my practice- I believe that it is only just forming- I think I will need to form my practice in terms of utilising mobile technology in my classroom.

As the quote above suggests, teachers need to teach their students in ways that are appropriate for modern society, rather using strategies and practices from decades ago. I believe that in my practice, I need to encourage my students to become critical users of technology so that they can develop valuable information literacy skills.

In order for me to be able to guide my students successfully through the quagmire of modern technology, it is highly important that I am able to understand and use it successfully. If I do not have this ability, I cannot expect to implement it in my classroom or library to its full potential. This is where professional development comes in. Within a staff community, it is important that teachers share their ideas regarding the implications of mobile technology in the classroom, and also their strategies for implementing it. In my future practice as a teacher and teacher librarian, I hope to be part of these sorts of professional partnerships. Often, people are willing to give up time to collaborate with peers and colleagues in order to learn and contribute (Kukulska-Hulme & Pettit, 2008). It would be my hope that with these teaching and learning opportunities, I would be able to be part of a hands-on learning experience to assist me in successfully implementing and using mobile technology (Kukulska-Hulme & Pettit, 2008).

Also, for mobile technology to be successfully implemented in the classroom, I think teachers and/or schools need to implement or develop a framework that is always under re-evaluation due to changing technologies and uses. Approaches to pedagogy need to be continually re-evaluated and respond directly to students’ and teachers’ changing capabilities (Cobcroft, Towers, Smith, Bruns, 2006). If I were formulating a framework of mobile learning I will ensure that is assessed using the following criteria:

- Is it significantly different form current theories of classroom, workplace or lifelong learning?

- Does it account for the mobility of learners?

- Does it cover both formal and informal learning?

- Does it theorise learning as a constructive and social process?

- Does it analyse learning as a personal and situated activity mediated by technology?

(Cobcroft, Towers, Smith, Bruns, 2006)

During this unit, and also others, I have learnt the importance of information literacy and student-directed learning. In my forming professional practice I hope to implement mobile technologies in such a way that teaches students about information literacy and optimises opportunities for exploration and growth. As a result of the application of mobile technologies within learning designs, students can be further empowered to undertake ‘user-led education,’ (and inquiry based learning). The introduction of mobile technologies in my pedagogy means that students will be creating their own content and collaborating with peers and communities within and beyond the classroom (Cobcroft, Towers, Smith, Bruns, 2006). Furthermore, my engaging with these new mobile technologies in my professional practice, I will be allowing my students the opportunities to be creative, collaborative, critical, communicative and engaged learners (Cobcroft, Towers, Smith, Bruns, 2006).

It is also important for me that parents and caregivers are engaged with what it happening in the classroom. Through my teaching and practice, I will be encouraging the use of mobile devices for educational purposes at school and at home. This way, parents will be able to see how their children are using technology and why it is valuable to their specific learning at school. Additionally, Pearson (2010) suggests that learning can become richer as mobile devices allow learner to access a variety of sources easily. The use of mobile technology such as laptops allows students to continue the work they do at school directly at home, which can then increase learning opportunities and outcomes of the students (Pearson, 2010). In my classroom, if I had access to mobile devices such as iPads or Nintendo DS’s, I would use these as early finisher or reward activities and provide ‘brain gym’ activities, literacy and numeracy puzzles and games, and other programmes that are engaging for students, yet have educational value.

I wish to leave you with another quote that has inspired my forming pedagogy in terms if the application of technology. If I am not able to use it correctly and successfully in the classroom, then there is no great benefit to using it at all.

“There can be infinite uses of the computer and new age technology, but if the teachers themselves are not able to bring it into the classroom and make it work, then it fails.” (Nancy Kassebaum- US Senator).

References

Cobcroft, S., Towers, S., Smith, J. & Bruns, A. (2006). Mobile learning in review: Opportunities and challenges for learners, teachers, and institutions. In Proceedings Online Learning and Teaching (OLT) Conference 2006. (pp. 21-30). Brisbane, Australia: Queensland University of Technology,

Kukulska-Hulme, A. & Pettit, J. (2008). Semi-formal learning communities for professional development in mobile learning. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 20 (2), pp. 35-47. Retrieved October 10, 2011, from ProQuest Database.

Pearson, C. (2010). Mobile learning in education – what to consider. Retrieved October 10, 2011, from http://learningdigitally.org/blog/archives/377

No comments:

Post a Comment