Sunday 30 October 2011

My new challenge to develop a PLN!!

The first two subjects of my Masters of Education have forced me to step outside my comfort zone and learn new web 2.0 skills.  Firstly I had to establish my own website and then I had to help create and participate in an academic blog!  These were challenges that I cautiously undertook, unsure if my basic computer skills would be enough to complete the required tasks.  But after 9 months of study I am proud to say that I have succeeded in both, and had fun learning and participating with these new web tools.

Where to now??? 
The closing comments from my week 11 online lecture inspired me to get serious about continuing my web 2.0 journey.  These are the words of wisdom:
 This unit has been all about how the relationship between young people, media and popular culture is changing, and how education needs to respond.  It would be a shame if no change occurred as a result of your involvement in this unit.

Michael was right, it would be a shame if no change occurred as a result of my completing this unit – I need to not only continue my learning journey but also to establish professional networks where I can gather and share my information more efficiently.  My next step is to follow Michael’s advice and decide on an initiative that I could realistically implement.   The solutions to this is a PLN.  

My understating of what Professional Learning Networks (PLN) are is this -  it is the people I learn from and share information with, the people that I interact with form my PLN.  They can be peers, professionals, experts or social contacts.  Most of the interaction within my PLN takes place on line now because it is the simplest way to find and share information.  My PLN includes lots different communities like Facebook, blogs, and Twitter.   

5 Ways to Begin Building Your Personal Learning Network  
When I was trying to decide how to establish my PLN I came across a blog called the Innovative Educator it had a great post that was titled ‘5 ways to begin building your Personal Learning Network’ (perfect just what I needed to get me started).  

Number 1 -  Join a professional social network. 
I already belonged to the professional social network within Education Queensland’s the Learning Place
‘Digital teachers are empowered by their personal educational networks. They acknowledge themselves as learners on a journey that is exciting, challenging and connected’.
(quote and image from the Learning Place)


I have always used the Learning Place as invaluable resource when searching for information and classroom tips.
In order to extend my network I have now joined the School Libraries Association of Queensland (SLAQ), the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA)  as well as an international group of educators on a ning site which is dedicated to the support of a ‘Personal Learning Networks for Educators’, this site is called The Educators PLN .  The Educators PLN has excellent links and articles on a range of topics such as Project based learning, Twitter, Social Media, Tutorials and Links to TED talks. 

Number 2- Pick 5 Blogs you find interesting and start reading them.  
My five blogs are:- 
Provides online resources and reflects on education issues and new research findings.  This site is like the bible for me as develop in my role as a Teacher Librarian.  
Provides lots of great ideas for how to integrate technology into the classroom. 
Blog posts are used to share research and highlight the ways in which school libraries support teaching and learning in schools. 
A TL’s post sharing what has been happening in her library.   
A TL’s online tool record and share the tools she uses.  

Number 3 - Set up an iGoogle account and subscribe to the blogs you selected in Google Reader                                       
I must confess that have so far skipped step three of this program – sorry – it is still on my 'to do list’. 

4- - Join the microblogging phenomena by reading Tweets at Twitter

The biggest change in developing my PLN has been the way in which  I manage and communicate with  people, which is where Twitter can help.  Twitter provides instant updates in mini blogs, where posts are limited to 140 characters.  Most of the resources from Twitter are in the form of links to websites, e-books, blogs, or activities.

At first I found Twitter very overwhelming, there was a lot going on!! I was on information overload!!   I found a great description of Twitter where it is described as a ‘big noisy teacher’s lounge where everyone is talking (texting) at once’ and that was exactly what it felt like. 

I have been told by more experienced users of Twitter that the easiest way to fully maximize the benefits of Twitter is to switch to TweetDeck because it has the ability to show everything you want to see at once, in an organized column format.  So this is another thing I have added to my ‘to do list’.    

5- Become a part of the conversation and start commenting on the what you read.  
This assignment has made me realise how important it is to comment on blogs.  Previously I had been a passive participant who read, enjoyed and used the information I found but did not let the writer know how beneficial their post had been to me.  I now understand that a successful PLN needs to be a two way street and that is not ok to just take the information.  It is important that I actively participate by leaving feedback, sharing my knowledge, and helping others when I can.   

A PLN is only as good as the people who participate in it!

While I still have I few thing on my ‘to do list’ I feel an enormous sense accomplishment in what I have achieved so far.  I am looking forward to sharing my new found skills with my student and peers and to continuing my web 2.0 journey. 
 
If you are thinking f establishing your own PLN – this is a great clip that will help
Enjoy :-)
Why educators should consider creating and participating in a personal learning network.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment